Sunday, May 18, 2014

Posy, a flower quilt block tutorial

Block of the month - May

In the first of the block of the month series, I have created the Posy Block. My inspiration came for this block after Laura from Bugs and Fishes put a call out for a crafty link up with the theme flowers. I am enjoying using this technique, I guess you could call it free foundation piecing. You can draw the triangle on, or if you are comfortable just go truly free hand and just sew it.

I have started a pile of these blocks and I am imagining my little purple posies in garden of low volume prints... I am a little bit addicted to low volume right now! I will be sure to share my progress as I go along.

Fabric and Cutting Guide:

[4] 3½" squares of purple fabric
[12] 2½" x 5" rectangles of low volume fabric (minimum size)


Instructions:

Step one:

Draw the triangle design (as pictured below) on the wrong side of the purple squares. No need to measure - these are not meant to be perfect petals! Draw from one corner to the middle of the opposite side and repeat on the other side. Complete the triangle by drawing the short side a ¼" in from the edge.



Step two:

Take a volume piece and place it over the triangle. Line the edge up with the drawn lines on the back, overlapping it by a ¼”. Make sure you flip the piece over so that when you have sewn the seam and press it back into place, it will actually cover the area you need it to. You can check the placement by holding it up to the light.


Step three:

Sew the seam and flip your fabric back into place and press. Trim back the seam allowances to ¼”. Continue to stitch/flip/press until all three corners are complete and give the whole thing a really good press



Step four:

Trim back to 3½" square. Continue until you have made four blocks and sew together in a four patch. 




Achievement unlocked!

You can reduce the bulk in the centre seam by loosing a few of those end stitches and massaging the seams open. Press all four seams in alternate directions.



So, there it is. I hope you enjoy my flower block and maybe learning a new technique? What colour would your flower bed have in it? Pink? Red? Use all the colours!





8 comments:

  1. I'm thinking this might be lovely in Liberty fabric too! I have a new stash that is calling me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I lovely Liberty garden - sounds amazing!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this looks fun! I have a pile of LV and done pinks that are waiting for a new project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun block and a completely new-to-me method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous block!!! Love the fact that it's not meant to be perfect. Pinning for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to interpret the flower theme... very creative!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS